Academic Planning Unit
The National Universities Commission (NUC) on realization of the need to put in place some management structure that would guide the orderly academic development of the University in the performance of its statutory functions of teaching, research and development as well as public service proposed and established the Academic Planning Unit in Nigerian Universities in the early 1980’s.
Establishment of the Academic Planning Units in Nigerian universities is in response to the need to coordinate and streamline the academic policies and activities arising from sudden and sometimes uncoordinated growth, development and proliferation of programmes and units in the university system.
Academic Planning Unit also handles the collection and management of data and information to guide the academic development of universities while ensuring compliance with NUC’s Minimum Academic Standards (MAS) and with the university senate’s academic regulations.
Structure of the Academic Planning Unit
The Academic Planning Unit is an integral part of the Vice Chancellor's office and headed by a Director. The Academic Planning Unit of Osun State University is currently headed by Dr. Adeleke. The Director of Academic Planning Unit is complimented by other staff members. These include the Academic Planning Officer, Secretary, and Clerical Staff/Office Assistant.
Functions of Director of Academic Planning
The Director of Academic Planning of Osun State University is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor in the general superintendence over the academic and administrative affairs of the Academic Planning Unit which include the following:
- Coordination and collation of information to National Universities Commission (NUC) for national planning purposes.
- Promotion of the quality of teaching, learning and research in the university through periodic evaluation of academic activities in the University
- Monitoring and advising on the growth of department and establishment of positions in various units of the University and advise the Vice-Chancellor on the creation of new positions;
- Monitoring the FTE (Full Time Equivalent) students enrolment in relation to staff strength;
- Guide academic and related units of the University on the operations of the Academic Brief and participate in the review of the academic Brief and general curriculum development, as at when due;
- Liaise with National Universities Commission (NUC) on matters relating to academic planning and quality assurance including the University System Annual Review Meetings (USARM), system-wide programme audit, and other academic matters that may be of interest and benefit to the University;
- Coordinate and ensure compliance of academic and other units of the university with NUC guidelines on academic and other matters;
- Process proposals for the creation of new Departments and introduction of new programmes;
- Coordinate and guide academic units/departments for purposes of programme accreditation and continuous quality assurance;
- Coordinate and ensure the provision of conductive teaching, learning and research environment in the University;
- Monitor the efficient and effective utilization of academic resources;
- Participate in the review of academic programme curricular of the University and evaluation of proposal for new academic programmes;
- Generate and periodically update the University databank/statistics on academic and other matters and make necessary projections for the attention of the Vice-Chancellor;
- Generate policies for and identify priorities in the academic development of the University for the consideration of senate through the development committee;
- Recommend desirable changes in the academic and administrative structures of the University to the Development Committee;
- Participate in the preparation of the University Annual Budget;
- Maintain a computer based data bank on student and staff statistics for use in planning, budgeting and other management requirements
- Carry out all other duties assigned by the Vice-Chancellor.