He had his secondary school education at the Comprehensive High School Ayetoro, Ogun State finishing with the best result (1973-1978), BSc & MBChB degree from the Obafemi Awolowo University (1978-1985) and his postgraduate medical training at the University College Hospital, Ibadan (1999).
At the end of his postgraduate training, he distinguished himself in the Nigerian Study on Clinico-pathological Study of Diabetic Nephropathy based on renal biopsy (1999).
He subsequently secured a job as a Lecturer 1 with the Department of Medicine, Olabisi Onabanbjo University. He rose by dint of hard work to his present position of Professor of Medicine, at the Osun State University, Osogbo, Nigeria having published more in his main area of interest of Hypertension and Nephrology. He is a well-accomplished and competent hand in clinical Nephrology – he co-supervised two dialysis units at various times at the Olabisi Onabanjo University teaching Hospital and Ladoke Akintola University Teaching Hospital (LAUTECH), Osogbo.
He had won competitive fellowship awards including:
a. World Diabetes Federation Fellowship / International Diabetes Federation Fellowship Award, South Africa, (2003)
b. Nigerian University Commission Award for indigenous research, (2004).
c. International Society of Peritoneal dialysis Fellowship, South Africa (2005)
d. IDF-BRIDGES Translational Research Course Training award, Ghana, (2008).
He was the Principal Investigator of the following research projects:
1. World Diabetes Foundation sponsored SIDCAIN Projects in Nigeria (WDF 08-321): the Strategies for Improving Diabetes Care In Ogun state, Nigeria (https://www.worlddiabetesfoundation.org/projects/ogun-nigeria-wdf08-321) 2008 - 2012;
2. World Diabetes Foundation sponsored SIDCAIN Projects in Nigeria (WDF10-515): the Strategies for providing quality Diabetes Care In Oyo states, Nigeria (https://www.worlddiabetesfoundation.org/projects/oyo-nigeria-wdf10-515) 2010-2014;
3. Research Grant Project awarded by CARGS (Competitive Agricultural Research Grant Scheme) of the Agricultural Research Council of Nigeria (ARCN) - RFA 5 No. 33 (Assessment of the efficacy of flavanol – rich cocoa powder intake in the management of malaria, diabetes and hypertension), in collaboration with the Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria, Idi-Ayunre, Ibadan (2011-2014).
4. World Diabetes Foundation sponsored Call to Action: Diabetes and NCDs in Nigeria – Perspectives, Challenges and the Way Forward (WDF-I16-1345-2017-6). August 23-24 2017, Abuja hosted by SIDCAIN Research Group (https://www.worlddiabetesfoundation.org/sites/default/files/Diabetes%20and%20NCDs%20in%20Nigeria%20Proceedings.pdf) and Federal Ministry of Health, Abuja.
5. FGN ETF Sponsored Research Project: Strategies for prevention of chronic kidney diseases in Osogbo, Osun State by the ‘UniOsun Asymptomatic Renal Population Study Group’ (2011 – 2012).
6. World Diabetes Foundation sponsored SIDCAIN Project in Nigeria (WDF13-764): Joint Action Against Gestational Diabetes. (2013-2016); (https://www.worlddiabetesfoundation.org/projects/nigeria-wdf12-764).
He was the founding Director, Olabisi Onabanjo Diabetes Center (2007-2010).
Professor Alebiosu became the Provost of the College of Health Sciences at the Osun State University between 2010-2016, as well as the Provost of Postgraduate College in 2017/2018.
Professor Olutayo Alebiosu delivered the 7th inaugural lecture of the Osun State University on wednedsay,18th April, 2012.
He had his sabbatical appointment at the Yale University, under the office of Global Health. He served as a Visiting medical Professor / Consultant at the Liberian College of Physicians and Surgery in 2018.
Professor Olutayo Alebiosu is currently the Editor-In-Chief of both the Research Journal of Health Sciences (http://www.ajol.info/index.php/rejhs) and the Uniosun Journal of Sciences of the Osun State University (www.ujs.uniosun.edu.ng), Osogbo Nigeria, both Journals he co-nurtured from the scratch.
He is an outstanding teacher and is well published. He has well over 70 papers to his credit and many of these were published in both local and international journals. On Google Scholar, he had been cited over 6,205 times, with h-index of 22 and i10-index of 159 (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=725mDJwAAAAJ&hl=en).
On ResearchGate, he has achieved 10,478 reads and 23.74 Stats (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Olutayo_Alebiosu/stats).
He co-authored Diabetes and Hypertension Treatment Guidelines for Health Workers in 2010; Diabetes and Hypertension Information books for all and Understanding Diabetes targeted at public education as well as a book titled ‘Understanding Common Diseases’, which was a collation of his contributions to the Tribune titles published on April 17th, 2012. He was a columnist (You and Your Health) with the African Newspapers, publishers of the Tribune titles from 2008 - 2013. Recently, he coordinated the production of a medical textbook: New Insights into HIV/AIDS for Students and Healthcare Professionals, published by the Cambridge Scholars Publishers, UK (2019). Currently he is working on Sickle Cell Disease: From the Laboratory to Clinical Practice; as well as Psychoactive Substances Use and Misuse.
He has been a member of the Accreditation Team of the National Universities Commission from 2016 till date. He has hosted major scientific conferences and regional meetings. He has continued to attend local and international conferences and workshops to broaden his horizon and remain current. He was a co-organizer of the 2nd International conference on Drug Discovery and Therapy in Dubai (2010).
He was the Chairman, Health Research and Ethics Committee of the College of Health Sciences, Osun State University (2011 - 2016). He is currently a peer reviewer to over 15 local and international medical journals and was an executive member of Nigeria Association of Nephrology.
He is married with children.